Saturday 7 May 2016

Nothing but the rain


Driving at high speeds, in wet weather conditions, can bring about certain challenges that some games haven't quite mimicked, yet. I have played a few in my day and this time, I think Forza 6 Apex got it the closest, without going too overboard.


Racing in ideal conditions, like warm weather and a dry track, is relatively easier. I can feel the vehicle make contact with the road through the steering wheel (yeah, I am using a real world example here). In wet weather, there is a slight numbing effect to this, which increases as I go faster.

Then, there is the dread Hydroplaning. That is where the tires come into contact with a large and sometimes deep pool of standing water. Since faster moving air is forced under the vehicle, including the tires, it can cause lift. When those same tire break their traction by coming into contact with that same standing water, they float on the surface causing....check out the following video.

The big wipeout near the beginning was caused by a case of self distraction, I clicked a few buttons on the keyboard to check on if Windows Game Bar was capturing this somewhat embarrassing moment.

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBZ-R_UDb3s

No comments:

Post a Comment