Saturday 14 May 2016

Return to the Lost World


It has almost been a full year since EA closed down Need for Speed World, a game I invested some real world dollars and a lot of time. For close to 4 years, World was my home, but I left it after some personal controversy and missed out on it's final days.


However, all is not lost. Thanks in a huge part to some very dedicated people, World won't fade away. Although they have been able to keep the game alive, it's only a single player version of it's former self. There has been talk of trying to make it more multiplayer, but that could take a long time, if ever.


With recent use of the Nissan GTR in Forza 6 Apex, especially with how it handles and performs, I felt a strong sense of nostalgia and tracked down my own copy of the past. Granted, I will have to start completely over, since I didn't save my driver profiles from before, but I can remember every car I had, how it looked and most important, how they performed.

In fact, here is the very first race with the NFSW version of the Nissan GTR, tuned to A Class as I remembered it, taking on the only competition I could find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ-MkwaZDHs (a side note, my first NFSW video, I never got around to trying to make one when the game was still Live).


Going back to World was and will be a bitter-sweet experience for me. The sweet part comes from rebuilding my garage with cars I had before and picking up others I never stood a chance at owning. The bitter part will be the loneliness, since there will be nobody else there to talk to or keep me company. Out of an almost dormant habit, I drove around to all the hang out spots, including the always populated Rockport Turnpike.

The emptiness of it all breaks my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment