Friday 30 September 2016

Moving Day


It was time to get the Chrysler LeBaron out of storage. In case you don't know, or can't remember (it's been a few months now), here is the original telling of events surrounding my acquirement of my first convertible behindthewheelgaming.blogspot.com/2016/08/a-dream-come-true.html


After working a long night shift, coupled with trying to sleep through the light of day and the sounds of activity that comes with an early morning in a large, urban center, we were off to rescue the car from "out of sight, out of mind."

I can't remember exactly how long it has been since my son and I (or just me for that matter) stopped by to start the car, in an attempt to keep the battery from going dead from not being used. However, I was rewarded with just that, turned the key to hear a "bzzzzzz, click, click, click." Not fully dead, but enough to not do much of anything else. So, out came the booster cables and while the charging was taking place, it was time to put air into the rear, passenger tire that has gone flat too.



With the car running under it's own power and the tire much rounder from when we first arrived, it was time to tape up the temporary operation permits and drive the car home. I have to agree with my son from the first video, I do love the smell of the interior of the car. This scent can also be found in a clean and well maintained GM product from the mid-90's to the early 2000's. It the combination of materials and circumstances, slowly aged to what I find to be a pleasant scent.


One issue that I was aware of when I first bought the car and has resurfaced again, the smoking problem. Now, it seems to have gotten somewhat worse from sitting for so long. I was first noticed after it was brought over to our old place and sat for a few days. Start it up and after a minute or two, the exhaust goes from barely seen to bit of a whitish grey release.

I stuck my nose into this cloud, smelled a bit like oil, but not the usual burnt scent. I had another car with a similar issue a few years back now, a 1997 Lincoln Town Car and I was told the valve guides were well worn in that engine. Could be the same thing here, since the mileage is roughly the same.

After a few minutes of idling and taking more of a charge, the exhaust cleared up and the hood was closed.


The drive to the other side of the lake and to the new place was uneventful. The smoking tailpipe came back, but only for a few seconds after accelerating away from red lights that turned green. I found myself missing the ride characteristics of these older cars.

Unlike today's vehicles, with sharp, tight suspension, the LeBaron feels a little more....leisurely. The tires and struts just absorb the bumps in the road, living up to the reputation of a "sofa on wheels." Even this feeling is lost in our 2004 Ford Freestar minivan.

The brakes felt better than the first time I drove it, none of the squeaking was heard, nor any fade from the peddle. However, it was a much hotter day out back then and today had a noticable chill in the air. Steering also felt pretty good, except for the stickiness-of-mysterious-origin-and-composition on the wheel. I am guessing it is the byproduct of many years of unclean hands taking the main, circular control.

There were a few other things I noticed, but I think I will discuss those another time. I was just glad the LeBaron is now a lot closer to home....wait, it's right out front my window!

No comments:

Post a Comment