Wednesday 26 October 2016

On the road and from my couch


In these modern times of technology for which I live in, I can enjoy the best of both worlds when it comes to cars. This past while, I have been talking about how I recently acquired a 1985 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3. It maybe a high mileage and needing-some-love example of the breed, but it's mine.

However, I haven't been able to put my finger on just why there has been this sudden awaking of feelings from inside me, when I look at or even sit in this car. However, I found my answer....


During the late 80's through the early 90's, the was a racing series in Europe called DTM or Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft (also known as German Touring Car Championships). I can remember catching glimpses of these races on TV and reading about some of the action in popular car magazines of the times.

The ontrack rivalry, mostly between Mercedes-Benz and BMW produced some of the best edge-of-the-seat action that has come close to being replicated in later years. However, it opened my eyes against the popular and accepted opinion (among my peers in my part of the world at the time) that four doors could just as fast, if not faster than two doors.


The 190E was also a very capable car off the track too, holding it's own against other marques of the time. I remember seeing some of this as well, but my interest was more focused with the track action and performances.


Which brings me back to the here and now. While I have a real 190E sitting outside, requiring some attention to bring it back closer to a level I would feel a lot more comfortable with, I also have two virtual examples to have some fun with.

First, Forza Motorsport 6 on Xbox One....


....and from Need for Speed Shift 2 on my PC....


Let me be clear about something, I don't think I am some kind of real life race car driver. I am very grounded in the reality of the limitations of the in-metal car sitting outside, the lack of proper safety equipment and the use of a controlled track. Even after all that, despite my many years of driving, racing is a whole different skill level in the real world, one that I am not even close to being proficient.

Now, after that downer of a self disclaimer, back to a happier note. Like I said before, I get to enjoy the best of both worlds now. I can sit back and relax on the old couch or very comfortable and live out a few fantasies. When I get tired of that, I could always walk outside and slip, behind the wheel and drive my reality.

2 comments:

  1. As the very happy owner of a '96 BMW 328i, I echo your sentiment that you don't have to lose two doors to have a fun to drive car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between you, me and the lamppost, as the old saying goes, I did have an alternate choice, if the 190E turned out to be a dud.

      The same dealer had a high mileage 1994 BMW 318i that would have been a strong consideration. Check out the picture here https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/DEser4prvQTPD5uUmhdDpyX73eCpbYoZ78u81XVjqvjoav384EnjXthobcb__kCf_g4xe-NLbGVZiw=w7680-h4320-no

      Delete